Friday, November 5, 2010

Digital Photography Assignment Dodge and Burn & Filters

I have a few edited photos for this assignment. I have to say that I wasn't particularly excited about the filters. In my old editing program there was not room for adjustment or any way to make it 'yours'. It was push a button and the program did all the work. For me this meant that it took the creative process away from me. However, with Photoshop it is different for some of the filters. Photoshop's filter allow more room for artistic expression.


This is the before shot of an old Willy's Jeep.


This is finished product after I used both the dodge and burn tool. I used it to slightly darken and lighten parts of the Jeep and of the snow ground. I also copy and pasted a part of the sky to cover up the tree on the right upper corner. I then used the dodge and burn tools to create a stormier sky and to blend he layers. I also used the eraser tool to help blend some of the edges better.


I used the dodge and burn photo for the base of my filter. I tried quite a few. Some of them went too far and made it so there was nothing recognizable left in the photo and others just didn't go far enough. I ended up using the extrude filter under stylize. I left the setting pretty much how I found them and liked the results. I then went under the hue and saturation tool, selected colorize, and chose this color. I tweaked the contrast/brightness and came up with this.


This is the before photo.


The first thing I did was to select the pendant with the lasso selection tool and then copy and paste it. I darkened the background layer, using exposure, until it was black. The I selected the top jewel with the lasso selection tool and inverse the selection. I turned it black and white and used the dodge and burn tools to tone down the glare in some areas and to lighten others. I also tweaked the contrast and brightness. I then inverse the selection again so that just the top Jewel was selected again and used the color balance tool.


This was fun. I used the dodge and burn photo and used liquify under the filter options. I used two different size paint brushes and just played with the image until I got it to this point. Very cool filter to play with.

4 comments:

  1. I love the second picture of the truck. It's really amazing what burn and dodge can do to subtly add interest and depth to a photo. The windshield is what really stood out to me, in terms of improvement. The sprawling cracks are really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how the dodge and burn gives life to the sky in the first altered photo. I also have to agree with you about the filters making some of the photos unrecognizable. I really like the melting necklace its to eye catching with just the middle being colored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what the use of the extrude filter did on the old jeep. It reminds me a little of Monet's painting style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again everyone for your comments. I look forward to them every week :)

    ReplyDelete