Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Composition and the Rule of Thirds

There is a great deal of information out there about both of these subjects. I found some good information and some possible tips to help anyone who is looking for it at http://www.colorpilot.com/comp_rules.html . I have to agree that in most cases using the rule of thirds does help to make a piece of art more interesting. However, there are time when I feel being in the center just 'works'. I have never consciously used the rule of thirds, but for the upcoming assignment I am going to see what happens when I keep forefront in my photography process.
To be honest I almost always take a shot of the subject with it centered and many at other arrangements. Later I generally crop it to look more interesting if that is the shot that had the best clarity to it.

As far as aesthetics goes, well it is hard to fully define. Here is a piece of an article taken from http://paulford.com/what-is-aesthetics/ :

'In a more general sense, aesthetics, as a philosophy refers to the study of sensory values. This means, the judgment or evaluation by the senses and, through time, has come to refer to critical or philosophical thought about art, culture and/or nature. A subfield of axiology, the philosophy of art – aesthetics is interested in ways of seeing, and sensing the world. As a field of study, aesthetics involves ways of seeing and perceiving the world, as well as new and novel interpretations.'

For me balancing out a photo and sometimes naturally using the rule of three, is more something I 'feel'. The photo just feels right when I arrange it that way. I don't think about it as I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment